Passwords can be reset through the ‘forgotten password’ process. Answer the questions that appear on the screen to regain access to your account.
You have the option to recover your password via an alternate email address or via phone verification. Click ‘I forgot my password’ on the Hotmail login page and then follow the instructions as indicated.
In a few steps, Hotmail will try to verify your identity. If everything goes well, you can change your password later.
Secondary Address or Alternate Address is another email address you entered during your Hotmail Creation. If you do not know what your secondary mail is, or you do not have access, you can also set a new address. In the latter case, you still have to answer the secret question.
Secret security question
The procedure with the secret question is the longest. Here you must answer the questions you asked during your account creation process. If you do not remember the answer, you may not be able to access your account.
You must answer the following questions as well:
- Security question/answer.
- The other passwords you used for this account (you remember).
- The Microsoft products that you have used in the past (Outlook, Hotmail, Xbox, Skype).
- Purchases from Microsoft such as office bundle, device, subscription (yes or no).
- Any credit card data that you have shared with Microsoft in the past.
- Email addresses of contacts that you recently emailed.
- The subject of recently sent e-mails (one for each text box).
Then, you can read the following message:
We will send an email to email@example.com to let you know if you have provided enough information to recover your account. It usually takes about 24 hours to check the submitted data. If the request has been submitted, we will close the request and we will continue to process it.